The Solid Line Between Employer And Buddy
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
steven
Administrator

02-07-2017, 09:01 AM

-- Allen W.

A: One reason I am therefore qualified to disp...

Q: Certainly one of my key employees is giving trouble to me. He's started turning up late for work and has created a bad attitude in general. The remainder of my workers are complaining simply because they are being forced to use up his slack. I have tried speaking to him, but he doesn't seem to hear. He has become one of my close friends since I used him five years ago, therefore shooting him is going of the question, to make matters worse. So what can I do?

-- Allen W.

A: One reason I'm so qualified to dispense sage business advice every week, Allen, is that I have made pretty much every business oversight you can imagine. I'm like the Evel Knievel of the little business world, if Evel Knievel wrote a regular column on motorcycle safety.

One of many more unpleasant things I've had to do is fire a great friend who was not working I used him to complete. H-e needed employment, I needed a worker, so I thought I would give a shot to him. I-t proved to become a match made in business hell. He took advantage of our friendship by spending time goofing off in place of working, arriving late for work, and creating a joke out of my complaints about his behavior. Due to our friendship I defended his actions to my other employees, but following a couple weeks I knew I had to show him the door. We are still friends, but most certainly not like we were before.

The mistake I made was hiring a pal in the first place. I let sensation, i.e. the desire to help my friend gain job, get-in the way of my business sense. That's what you are doing now, Allen, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're likely to need to deal with this condition soon or your complete operation might be affected by the activities of this one-person.

The error you've made is the fact that you've befriended a member of staff, which can be something you should not do. I am not saying you can't be friendly with your employees, but you've attached a considerable amount of emotional baggage to the relationship and the result is the situation you're faced with to-day.

Friends expect preferential treatment given that they are your friends. I found out about go here for more info by browsing newspapers. The work-place, nevertheless, have to be a level playing field for all you workers, friends or not. While personnel deserve your respect (if it is received), giving one employee preferential treatment over yet another is never recommended. It is a problem experienced by many business owners and managers who allow themselves to become too near to their employees.

I realize that you'd rather eat stones than fire him and he is becoming your friend over the years, but you have to take into account how his behavior is impacting your business over all. What effect is he having on worker morale, on work schedules, on customer relationships, on time spent repairing his errors, and most of all, the bottom-line?

You've two options: get him back on the right track or get him off the payroll, period. That will sound cool and politically incorrect, but these are your only choices. In either case, you need to be his boss first and friend second. He might have private reasons for his performance, but as his company you're legally limited as to how much prying you can do into his home life. As his friend, nevertheless, I expect that you have a good idea what the issue is. To discover more, consider peeping at: ftp gmail. When you can help him come back to being a successful member of the group, then do therefore. Or even, want him well, let him go, and move ahead.

Here are a few ideas that will help you create and enforce the boundaries of the relationship.

Define the relationship. Keep your seat, Dr. Phil, this may not take long. The relationship must be well-defined in the beginning and the boundaries recognized by all parties. Some call it 'defining the pecking order' or 'establishing the foodstuff chain.' What-ever colorful term you use it all comes right down to this: You can be their manager or you can be their buddy. You can maybe not be both.

Don't hire friends or relatives. This principle is obviously versatile if you are the master of the company and you employ your young ones to work for you. Odds are your offspring already take you since the supreme authority figure and managing them in a company environment is second nature. However, even this case could have a negative impact on your company as non-related employees usually expect the manager' child, child, or best friend to work less, earn more income, and be treated better than everybody else. Whether that is true or not, cronyism and nepotism can create an underlying stress among the ranks.

Establish and stick to business policies. It's recommended to own published plans concerning all facets of your business, including worker behavior and performance expectations. The relationship is prone to favoritism by it is quite nature. Professionals can't help but prefer these employees who work harder, longer, and faster, but in regards to adhering to company policies, there must be no preferential treatment of preferred employees. Every employee must be given a copy of your published business policies and sign a form saying they have read, understand, and concur with the same.

Underneath Line: treat everybody the exact same. It doesn't matter if the staff is a vice president or even a janitor; everyone within your company should be treated the same when it comes to sticking to released company policies and performance objectives.

While it's true that a vice president could be of more importance for the company than a janitor, it's also true that a vice president who is running amok can perform much more harm to your company than a janitor who lets a toilet back-up every once in a-while (there is an example there that I'll enable you to find out on your own).

It is maybe not particular, it is just business. This is what the movie crooks say to each other before the shooting begins. 'Hey, Paulie, it's maybe not private. It's only business.' BLAM! BLAM! Here is the dating exact carbon copy of saying, 'It's perhaps not you, it's me.' Such statements aren't likely to make anyone feel better if they are getting dumped or fired. Learn new info on our favorite related website by navigating to gmail ftp. Just ask any former employee or old girlfriend you've used this line o-n.

When you have to fire an employee - also a friend - get it done by the book in an expert manner.

It'll maybe not be easy, but you've to get rid of the feeling and do what's best for the business.

Listed here is to your success..